So I made vegan/whole wheat graham crackers, and then I made non-vegan/gluten-free graham crackers... it was time to make vegan and gluten free graham crackers!
I based this recipe off the GF version but replaced the egg with a flax egg. I also removed the xanthan gum, since many people don't have that ingredient in their pantry, so I was expecting the crackers to crumble and fall apart after baking. To my surprise, these crackers were just as sturdy as the previous versions!
Graham Crackers: [low fat, low sugar, GF, vegan]
(makes 80 graham bears) adapted from these
1 tbs Ground Flaxseed + 3 tbs Hot Water
64g (3 tbs) Pure Maple Syrup
43g (2 tbs) Molasses
30g (2 tbs) Unsweetened Applesauce
14g (1 tbs) Grapeseed Oil (or any other neutral oil)
120g (1 cup) Oat Flour
120g (3/4 cup) Brown Rice Flour
96g (1/2 cup) Granulated Erythritol (or dry sweetener of choice)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and tape down a large square of parchment paper onto your counter (I used packing tape)
2. In a small bowl, stir together the flax and water, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, molasses, applesauce and oil.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the oat flour, brown rice flour, erythritol, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
5. Microwave the flax mixture for 20 seconds, then stir until it forms into a gel. Stir this into the wet ingredients. Dump the dry into the wet and fold together (mixture should be crumbly but moist enough to pack together when pressed)
6. Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Using your hands, pack the mixture into a ball, place onto the taped down parchment paper and knead until you form a solid ball. Roll the dough to 1/8-1/4" thickness. Use a cookie cutter to form the cracker shapes and transfer to the prepared baking pan about 2" apart.
8. Poke holes into the crackers and bake for ~9-11 minutes (Watch them carefully near the end!! I accidentally left a batch in for 13 minutes and they were really brown around the edges, still delicious just not visually appealing). Transfer crackers to a wire cooling rack and snack on them the instant they have completely cooled :)
Nutrition stats that I'm proud of. So much better than storebought graham crackers!
These graham cracker bears are delicious with Chocolate Almond Butter
Heads first ;)