Peanut Butter Protein Balls: [high protein, vegan]
(makes 3-4 ping pong ball-sized balls) source: BodyRock.tv
32g (1 scoop) Vanilla Protein Powder (vegans, use soy protein)
42g (2 tbs) Honey or Agave
32g (2 tbs) Natural Peanut Butter (no sugar/salt/oil added)
1. Put the protein powder in a bowl, then the honey and stir
2. Pour in the peanut butter (creamy PB is easier than chunky)
3. Stir until everything is incorporated (it takes a while, but if you need more honey or something, add it now)
4. Add any toppings you want (pictured below)
4. Roll into balls with your hands, and refrigerate to harden (if you are not eating it immediately)
-You can use dried nonfat milk powder instead of protein powder, but adjust amount to create same texture
-Add any toppings you want, like slivered almonds, dried fruit, etc... or what I like to use (pictured below)
Note: I wouldn't recommend almond butter or a neutral tasting nut butter (like cashew) because it tastes a little bland. I also tried this with chocolate protein powder and didn't like it, but you might, so you can use that and some regular cocoa powder if you want.
Here are some possible mix-ins:
These are my favorite pairings:
dark chocolate chips and flaked coconut
ground flaxseed and rolled oat coating
raisins and crumbled walnuts
If you want to hide a surprise inside of the ball, you can flatten it out like pictured, wrap it and roll it into a ball.
As requested, here is a nutrition label:
The sodiym level is a bit high because I made the label using egg protein powder (it was all I had on hand), which tends to have a higher sodium content than whey or soy, etc. Too bad the label doesn't show all the other vitamins and minerals from the PB, a very healthy nut :)
PS: check out the chocolate version here!