I could top just about anything with a good jam, and the same goes with fresh fruit and fruit compotes.
I chose to make a blueberry compote, partly because I love blueberries (they're like perfect little spheres of sweet, candy-like fruit), and partly because it pairs well with lemon...
Scroll down to see why I'm implying lemon ;)
*makes naughty grin*
(makes ~1.25 cups)
1/4 cup + 2 tbs Blueberry Jam (100% fruit, no sugar added)
1/4 tsp Stevia Extract*
1/8 tsp Lemon Extract
1+1/4 tsp Arrowroot Starch (or cornstarch)
1+1/4 cups Blueberries, fresh
*I'm sure a few packets of sweetener would work as a replacement if you don't have stevia, such as Truvia
1. Add the jam, extracts and starch to a microwave-safe bowl and whisk. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until mixture is runny
2. Add the blueberries and stir carefully to combine. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and so on until blueberries are very soft to touch. Top whatever you like with this (or eat a spoonful by itself as a little treat, wink wink)
^^ such pretty colors!
Here are 10 fantastic ways to use this Blueberry Compote Topping:
- On your Oatmeal
- Mixed into plain, nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Over whole grain Pancakes and Waffles
- Stuffed inside a Crepe
- Over breakfast Quinoa or Brown Rice Pudding
- In a Yogurt Parfait (mmm maybe with some granola!)
- Over homemade, low-fat Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- To top a buttery (yet healthy) Lemon Pound Cake
- Over this Pistachio "Hidden Veggie" Snacking Cake instead of the citrus glaze
- To top these Lemon Cheesecake Bars!