This is yet another attempt of mine to recreate the classic rice krispy treats. My plan with these was to make a sophisticated, yet healthy, no-bake treat (no marshmallows here!). And may I just add that this was a successful attempt? Everyone absolutely loved them :)
My sister, who is strangely not a sugar addict like me (gasp!) , loved how these were mildly sweet (unlike my other tooth-achingly sweet recipes).
My father, who is abnormally not a chocolate fan, ate these with a smile and no complaints.
My mother, the normal one (aka, a fellow sweet tooth) gobbled one up in no time at all, and quickly reserved another treat for breakfast the next day.
I, the sugar fiend, topped mine off with a few more sliced figs and ate in bliss.
Naturally sweet from the figs and brown rice syrup. Nutty from walnut butter and flaxseed meal. Bittersweet from the dark chocolate. Simply sophisticated, decadently rich and oh, so satisfying...
Walnut Fig Krispy Treats with Dark Chocolate Ganache: [no bake, high fiber/protein, GF, vegan]
(makes 9 large treats)
150g (5 cups) Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
48g (1/2 cup) Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (GF if you like)
13g (2 tbs) Flaxseed Meal
1/4 tsp Salt
168g (1/2 cup) Brown Rice Syrup
128g (1/2 cup) Raw Walnut Butter
1+1/2 cups Dried Figs, chopped
3/4 tsp Stevia Extract
62g (2 scoops) Vanilla Protein Powder
4oz Dark Chocolate (60-70% cacao)
6 tbs Unsweetened Almond Milk (or light coconut milk)
3/4 tsp Stevia Extract
*You can use chocolate protein powder if you like, just add 1 tsp of vanilla extract to the wet ingredients
1. Line a brownie pan with parchment paper both ways, set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cereal, oats, flax and salt.
3. In a large microwave-safe bowl, stir together the rice syrup, walnut butter, figs and stevia. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring in between each one, until mixture is runny/liquidy.
4. Add the protein powder to the microwaved mixture, spoonful by spoonful, stirring between each one until incorporated.
5. Scoop this mixture over the rice krispy mixture and fold until incorporated. Scoop this mixture into the brownie pan and flatten with the rubber spatula (or a pastry roller). Refrigerate while you make the chocolate ganache.
6. In a clean microwave-safe bowl, chop up the chocolate and microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each one, until melted. Stir in the almond milk, one tablespoon at a time, then add the stevia. Spread over the krispy treats and refrigerate until slightly firm, then slice.