So moist, delicate and tender. So sweet, warming and comforting. This cake was really spectacular.
I made this cake in the summer, but just a little different than my usual cakes as it was a thank-you gift for a neighbor who was not so much into "healthy food." It contains a bit more sugar and a tad bit more butter extract, but I still managed to keep the recipe healthy and balanced as a whole.
It's whole wheat, still reduced sugar and contains a bit of protein. Despite all that, it is ultra moist and the rum glaze grabs your taste buds' attention right away!
(makes one 9" cake)
240g (2 cups) Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
96g (1/2 cup) Pure Cane Sugar
2 tbs Arrowroot Starch
1+1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
112g (1/2 cup) Plain, Nonfat Greek Yogurt
182g (2/5 package) Lite Silken Tofu
42g (3 tbs) Almond Oil (or any other neutral oil)
123g (1/2 cup) Unsweetened Applesauce
42g (2 tbs) Agave Nectar
2 tsp Stevia Extract
1 tbs Vanilla Extract
1+1/4 tsp Butter Extract
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and spray your cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Put wet ingredients into a blender and puree.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
4. Pour the blender mixture onto the dry ingredients and fold gently (batter will be somewhat thick). Scoop batter into prepared pan and flatten the surface. Bake for 60-65 minutes, or when surface of cake springs back when touched.
2-4 tbs Almond Rum Liqueur (use 4T if you want a stronger rum flavor, I used Guavaberry rum)
84g (4 tbs) Agave Nectar
1. In a small bowl, whisk the two ingredients together until the mixture looks like a pure syrup
2. When the cake is slightly warm to touch (not too hot or cold), "stab" the surface of the cake with a toothpick all over (don't get too dramatic though), and use a basting brush to coat the top of the cake with the glaze. When completely cooled, slice and serve.
To store, cover with plastic wrap.
I remember baking this cake and sharing it with my neighbor.
I remember eating this slice, smiling and relaxing.