This blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit:

January 3, 2012

Vanilla Guavaberry Rum Cake

This blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, click here:

I expected to return home right after the fall semester ended, but my family surprised me with a vacation in the Caribbean followed by a long stay at a ski resort in Canada.  It was a lovely surprise!  I got a nice tan and spent quality time with my family--two things I haven't really been able to do while in school on the other side of the country from my family!

One itty bitty letdown, to me, was that I didn't get to go straight home and bake.  It's funny how much I miss baking at a regular altitude!  I feel like I'm torturing those at sea-level by posting all these high-altitude recipes, but they're just too good to stow away for safe-keeping.

^^ I love how the guavaberry rum colored the cake pink!

The rum flavor in this cake is a lot stronger than the rum in my Chocolate Almond Rum Brownies.  I was going to soak the cake in a Guavaberry rum glaze, but after taking a bite of the cake I felt that it didn't need any more rum.  If you are not much into alcohol, just replace the rum with more soymilk and you'll make a simple Vanilla Butter Cake.  Both sound good to me!

Vanilla Guavaberry Rum Cake:  [low fat, high protein, GF]
(makes one 9" cake)
   72g (3/4 cup) Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, blended to a flour (GF if you like)
   72g (3/4 cup) Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, left whole
   80g (1/2 cup) Brown Rice Flour
   65g (1/2 cup + 2 tbs) Soy Protein Powder
   3/4 cup Granulated Erythritol (or dry sweetener of choice)
   1 tbs Ground Flaxseed
   1 tbs Baking Powder
   1+1/4 tsp Baking Soda
   1/4 tsp Salt
   1 cup Guavaberry Rum Liqueur (I used Guavaberry brand)
   1 cup Unsweetened Soymilk
   28g (2 tbs) Sunflower Oil (or any other neutral oil)
   8oz Unsweetened Applesauce
   84g (1/4 cup) Honey
   1 tbs + 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
   1+1/2 tsp Butter Extract
   1/4 tsp Lemon Extract
   2 tsp Vanilla Stevia Extract
   1/2 cup Egg Whites
   1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar

*NOTE:  this is a high altitude recipe (for about 3,000 feet), so if you live at sea level don't attempt this recipe without making some adjustments!

1.  Spray your cake pan (you can try making cupcakes too!) with PAM and preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2.  In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix until mixture is even
3.  In a separate large mixing bowl, add the rum, soymilk, oil, applesauce, honey, extracts and apple cider vinegar
4.  In a small bowl, add the egg whites and give it a little whisk.  Pour into the other wet ingredients and whisk again.  Quickly pour onto the dry ingredients and fold.  Give the mixture a vigorous whisk for about 20 seconds to make sure all the clumps pop open.  Pour into your cake pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean
5.  Ice the cake with this Classic White Icing

I'm definitely bringing this slice to the table!  I sense some Déjà vu here...


  1. Oh my, that looks tasty! I shouldn't have visited your blog so close to lunch! ha :) Thanks for the recipe.

  2. That's different and interesting! I haven't seen any Guavaberry rum liquor in Ireland but I may be able to find some guava juice somewhere. Infact I would have definitely found it in Mauritius where I'm from! Miss the fresh guavas from there! I will sure give your recipe a try. :)

  3. What is in the little mini container on the plate?

    1. Oh, thats the cork to the rum bottle ;)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...