That's right... a healthy chocolate ice cream!
And it was an accident too... I was originally trying to make truffles, but the chocolate mixture never firmed up properly. At least I got something else out of the attempt :) Truffles are naturally made with only 2 ingredients: chocolate and heavy cream. Since there is no place for heavy cream in my diet, I made a healthy alternative using soymilk and protein powder, which creates a thick texture similar to cream.
This is the unsweetened soymilk and blender cup I use:
This is the protein powder I use (I got it from Whole Foods):
Here are the nutrition facts:
Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream: [low sugar, high fiber/protein, GF, vegan]
(makes 2 servings)
3/4 cup Unsweetened Soymilk
60g (2 scoops) Vanilla Protein Powder (vegans, you can try using vegan protein powder, like Sun Warrior)
6oz 90% Cacao Chocolate
63g (3 tbs) Honey or Agave
5-15 drops Stevia Extract (or to taste)
1. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval
2. Put the soymilk and protein powder into a shaker cup and shake until the protein powder is absorbed (it should be creamy)
3. When the chocolate is melted, add 2 spoonfuls of the soymilk mixture into the chocolate bowl and stir
4. Pour more of the soymilk mixture (about half of the mixture) into the chocolate mixture and stir again
5. Add the rest of the soymilk mixture and the honey to the chocolate mixture
6. Put the bowl in the fridge for half an hour, then put it in the freezer until it is all frozen
7. Bring the bowl out of the freezer 10 minutes before eating to soften, enjoy!
1) Do not microwave the protein powder and soymilk together, it bakes into a gross cake patty (ew)
2) The ice cream melts pretty quickly, so scoop it into a cold bowl to slow the melting process... or just eat it like there's no tomorrow :)
So share this with someone you love, or treat yourself to both servings :)
I did... hehe